For teachers – What to expect during your visit:
- In order to prepare your class for a visit to the Legation, we recommend using our lesson plans to help students get acquainted with the museum. Click on the links below to access these materials.
- If you have scheduled a guided tour, our docent will meet you and your students at the entrance to the museum.
- Tours will be held for a maximum of 20 people, including adult chaperones. If you have a larger group, we will divide your group and give the tour in shifts. Groups not currently on a tour should remain together–we suggest that chaperones provide an activity for these groups. Please see the lesson plans for ideas.
- There must be a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 10 students. The chaperone is responsible for students’ behavior during the tour and at all times in the museum.
- Please ask your students to leave behind any large bags or backpacks, as these are not allowed in the museum. Photography is encouraged.
- The American Legation Museum is a history and culture museum. Once inside, the docent will highlight some important exhibits and ask your students questions and provide more information. Please encourage your students to answer questions based on their observations and encourage them to ask questions too.
- The duration of the visit is typically one hour. There are several rooms and the docent will highlight one or two items in each room. The goal is to encourage students to think critically about the exhibits and formulate their own opinions about the subject matter of our collections.